Tuesday 27 October 2009

An Interesting Conversation

There is this driver from Eritrea in our office, I had a chat with. He speaks good English, is well mannered, dresses smartly ... a clear contrast to the other drivers who cant speak a word of English ... heres a gist of the conversation ...

I dont recall how we started but along the way he told me where he was from and that he and his family had to flee due to some political problems ... and hadn't returned to his home country for 25 years .... My curiousity led me to ask him, how he was able to speak such good English ... it was a simple answer ... "from school" ... he had passed high school and then due to financial reasons he had to quit further studies ...

Somehow he got into the field of "Hydro-Meteorology" ... I was like "What??!!" ... "It means the study of ...." .... " I know what it means (but you) " ... Then he started explaining how the water conditions of the rivers have to be considered while constructing bridges ... so eloquently .... and I was thinking about our Egyptian Construction Manager who cant pronounce "Library" :S

But when he came to saudia ... the first thing in his mind was not to chase that career but to feed his family ... after several jobs which included being a cashier, salesman, waiter etc he came here as a driver ... and still searching ...

I was really moved

2 comments:

  1. There are ppl who deserve more than what they get and i pray that i am not one of them.

    I hope he finds a suitable job. he was from which country??

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is from Eritrea ... an African country ...

    ReplyDelete