Thursday 12 November 2009

Communication Skills

"Communication Skills" ... Lets just say I have none of it ... be it a one-one conversation or one-many ...

Mr Shahid was our English teacher in 9th and 10th grade ... I was his favourite student ...upon his insistence I participated in a speech competition ... it was the first time I was taking part in any extra curricular activity . I had been up on the stage many times but not as a speaker .... Surprisingly, I started well without any hesitation but soon my memory got the good of me ... after a 5 sec pause the audience (which mostly consisted of ill-mannered final year students waiting for you to make the smallest mistake) started clapping .... I remembered the next sentence and completed without any further hitch ...

1st semester in university... there was a subject called Communication Skills ... I was dreading it already ... One day our instructor (jinhain pyar say goofy kehtay thay) distributed us into groups and gave each one a topic and 15 minutes to prepare for a brief monologue .... my turn came. Again ... in the middle, I screwed up .. a long pause ... which felt like ages ... it was so bad that on a scale of 1 to 3 I had to be scored -1 ... it was awful ...

These were examples of one-many communication ... I suck at one-one communication too .... You know when people argue even when they are not sure .... I dont do that ... I dont even argue when I am right ... Just yesterday, a colleague showed me an email which contained this picture of the Buggati Veyron-16 



I explained that 1001 refers to the hp NOT the top speed .. but he was adamant ... " I have seen a video in which this car races with an aircraft " he said. " I have seen it too ... but it does not come even close to 1000 kph ... its highest speed is 407 kph " was my reply .... " No No No you must be mistaken its around 930 something ... " .... "Really? (sarcasm)... " and I left ...

... and the list goes on

5 comments:

  1. i dreaded goofy's subjects too...what a bloody pain...i sucked at it jst like u :(

    but recently i foudn ive improved...if the topic is of domain then i can really nail it...in the interview i had to give a presentation, and boy was i confident? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. self confidence is the thing that even hostel couldn't induce in it....work on it pal nahi to tumharay bachay tumhain chona laga rahay hongay :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. self confidence helps a lot but i agree with anas .. if u dont have a good grip of subject knowledge then its no use ..

    i am working on it .. and the egyptians are helping a lot ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally good words for egyptions :D

    any chance of u coming to pakistan...spend some of ur pay dude :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. egyptians ... that was sarcasm dost ... didnt u get it?

    its company ticket dude ... but the f**ing project is not ending ...

    ReplyDelete