Sunday 25 January 2009

The Problem with my Name

Its a trend in India and Pakistan to name a kid with Mohammad in the beginning.... like mine Mohammad Mustafa ... I dont know the reasons behind it... and i dont want to get into them... but i have been through a lot of troubles due to this ...

When i applied for a driver's licence i thought it will be an easy process... first i had to get a letter from my sponsor ... my dad... who is under the sponsorship of his company. It took a week. Then attach a copy of your Passport, Iqama (Resident Permit) with this document... and if u have a license of any other country attach that too.

Ok upon reaching the department who deals with this stuff "Dallah" the first thing was to fill out a form IN ARABIC .... which was taken care of by some guys for a low price. The building is huge and the cabins are marked with numbers. So number 1 was for checking that all the documents are complete and put a stamp. Number 2 was for Translating Your License i.e. if its not in Arabic and the nice guy who thought he was Justin Timberlake cuz he could speak English took 100 Riyals for this job.

Number 3 was for Medical ... I got my eyesight checked and nothing else... Thank God.. and the so called doctor wrote Mafrood Addasa meaning Glasses Necessary. Number 4 was Registration and Fee .... for first timers the fee was around 350 ... that was done.... the last window was Number 5 behind which smartly clad Shurtas (Cops) were sitting ...

My turn came ... i submitted the documents ... and just after a few moments that bearded guy murmered something... what?... Ta'deel Ism ... Change your Name ... WTF!! ... why? .... the names on your passport and iqama dont match ... my name on my iqama was starting with Mustafa .... It was those crazy Saudis own fault .... deep sigh ..

I told my dad what the problem was ... and he knew right away there is no easy solution to this...there is a position in every company here for these sort of jobs... its called Mandoob ... Its his job to get exit and re-entry visas ... renew iqamas etc. Until not long ago ... i thought "Mnadoob" was the person's name ... silly me...

so this guy called me and took me to the Jawazat (Iqama Dept), then the Investigation Dept for my Fingerprints ... then after two months of waiting the papers arrived from Ministry of Interior in Riyadh ... still there was something left to be done .. we had to give an ad in a local newspaper that I have changed my name ... for 100 riyals again .... I know these are government rules but some of them are plain rubbish.

Anyway, the papers got accepted and I went for a first try ... it was a Camry... huh... piece a' cake .. i thought ... i did everything right .... but that AH gave be "B" .... which meant i had to take 5 days classes .... which is whole another story ... i passed the final test comfortably ... and I was given a date to come and collect my license.

I complied ... it was like surmounting an Everest ... and i was glad its over .... when i received my licence it read (read carefully):

Name: MUHAMMAD MUSTAF MUKHTAR HUSSAIN




6 comments:

  1. LOLZ...well one thing is sure u spell Mohammad wrong as far as i know it should be Muhammad..this is your mistake...they corrected that one in your license but alas they forgot to write A after f in mustafa....cheers...so what u plan to do are u going to apply again or what???

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually ... I always spell my name with a U .. muhammadmustafa.blogspot.com was taken ...

    No I will play along with it... but how dumb are these guys ... its a well known muslim name ... and they have messed it up in Arabic too !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lolz...i wish u best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure that you'll get muhammadmustaf.blogspot.com, btw, do you want me to call you mustaf or Triple 'M' Hussain from now on? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ talahaabid: yes that will surely be available....
    i would prefer just triple M or Emineminem !

    ReplyDelete
  6. name change! thats big news :D how about maulvi? thats with M too .. :D

    ReplyDelete